Who are Repak Ltd?
Repak is an industry funded organisation whose aim it is to facilitate and grow packaging recycling. Based on the principle of producer responsibility, Repak was established to help businesses meet their legal obligations to fund the recovery and recycling of the packaging on the goods or services they supply, as set out in the Waste Management (Packaging) Regulations 2007.
How is Repak Funded?
Repak is solely funded from packaging levies, as charged to its participating businesses, and operates on a not for profit basis. Repak’s members are charged on the type and amount of packaging they produce, ie. The more packaging they place on the Irish Market, the more they pay.
Repak has designed its fee structure in this manner so as to curb the level of packaging manufacturers choose to use and to incentivise easier to collect/recycling materials.
Who should join Repak?
In accordance with the Waste Management (Packaging) Regulations 2007, all companies involved in the production, distribution and retailing of products with packaging exceeding the de’minimus (ie. > than €1m and > than 10 tonnes of packaging / packaged goods per annum), primarily these are ‘major producers’, as defined by the Irish Packaging Regulations.
At present Repak has over 2000 participating companies in membership, and is currently funding the recycling of over 60% of all packaging placed on the Irish market.
What Repak have achieved?
Through packaging levies, Repak have invested over €225 million in supporting packaging recycling in Ireland, raised purely from industry.
- Increased packaging recycling from 100,000 in 1998 to 626,000 tonnes in 2010
- Increased packaging recovery/recycling from under 15% in 1998 to 66% in 2010
- Diverted over 5.7 million tonnes of used packaging from landfill since its establishment in 1997
- Repak established a 5 year strategy group for packaging recycling in 2001
- Repak helped Ireland meet and exceed it’s EU packaging recovery targets in 2001 (25%), 2005 (50%) and its 2011 (60%) target by 2008 three years ahead of time.
- Repak support kerbside recycling reaching nearly 1,200,000 households, 2,200 bring banks & 90 recycling centres, nationwide
- Repak’s fee structure encourages less packaging on the market (the more packaging participating companies put on the market the more they pay).
- 59% municipal recycling is driven by packaging recycling funded by Repak
- Co-funded and placed 866 new Bring Banks nationwide to grow the collection infrastructure
- Educating businesses & households with national recycling campaigns and sponsorships such as:
- Repak Recycling Week
- Repak Green Christmas
- Repak Easter Recycling Appeal
- Supporting An Taisce National Spring Clean
- Sponsoring An Taisce Green Schools Programme
- Sponsoring Tidy Towns regional awards and Best Presented Bring bank Awards
- Running the Repak Prevent and Save program designed to minimise and optimise packaging usage