Recycling Best Practice
Recycling helps our environment in so many different ways; it even saves money and creates jobs. Here are 5 reasons why everyone in Ireland should recycle.
- Saves Natural Resources - By making products from recycled materials instead of virgin materials, we conserve land and reduce the need to drill for oil and dig for minerals.
- Saves Energy - It usually takes less energy to make recycled products; recycled aluminum, for example, takes 95% less energy than new aluminum from bauxite ore.
- Saves Clean Air and Water - In most cases, making products from recycled materials creates less air pollution and water pollution than making products from virgin materials.
- Saves Landfill Space - When the materials that you recycle go into new products, they don't go into landfills or incinerators, so landfill space is conserved.
- Saves Money and Creates Jobs - The recycling process creates far more jobs than landfills or incinerators, and recycling can frequently be the least expensive waste management method for cities and towns.
When we think about recycling we should focus on three main areas that we can recycle regularly from on a daily basis. These areas are the home, school and the workplace.
Recycling at Home:
Recycling at home is very easy to do. It can save you money and also cut waste by about half. We are really good at recycling items in the home especially from the kitchen but we can often forget that there are other areas of the house that we can also recycle from such as the bathroom and the bedroom. Click here to find more information about recycling more efficiently in your home.
Recycling at Work:
Recycling at work can be just as easy as recycling at home. Nominate a recycling or green champion in the office to ensure everyone is doing their bit. Don’t forget to recycle from other areas in the workplace, not only your desk but the kitchen, print/stationary room, kitchen and bathroom. To find out more information about what items you can recycle in the workplace click here.
Recycling at School:
Recycling at school is also very important and Repak is proud to be the lead sponsor of An Taisce’s Green School Programme which now has 87% of all primary schools registered around the country. Green Schools in an international environmental education programme and award scheme that promotes and acknowledges both long term and actions by the whole school in helping their environment. Click here to find lesson plans for your classroom along with a fun zone and information about setting up a school waste audit for your school.
To learn more visit www.recyclemore.ie